Thursday 9 February 2012

The World Has Gone Insane

The world has lost its head!
And every evil hour is filled with dread!
I'm floating on a lake - But upside down!
And when I try to breathe, I start to drown!

Firstly I am going to apologize for my lack of posting, unfortunately the hideous beast that is Optus has reared its horribly disgusting head, resulting in the household being without internet for the past few days. The worst part is that it wasnt our fault! We havent gone over our limit, they just decided to cut us off! Ahh well, after hours upon hours on the phone, hopefully, it has all been sorted out. Gah! If not, mother dearest has threatened going to a different provider haha.
This leads to my secondary discussion. The weight the Internet has on younger generations, and the incredible repercussions that occur from taking it away. I never thought of myself as being addicted to Internet, sure, I use it alot, but I always thought I could stop at any time. Well, the past few days have certainly taught me that I cannot. Luckily, I did have my iPhone, so I had some access, but the similarities that having no Internet, and say, giving up smoking, or getting off drugs was uncanny. I cant say that I know how either of these feel first hand, but through secondary viewing, I can certainly say that they are very similar. When something that you use, no, depend upon, suddenly vanishes, its as if you have unfinished business. Its as if you need it right at that moment that it stopped. You then gradually fall into this odd pit of mixed emotions, suddenly hanging from the happiest person in the world and then falling into the depths of the beast, you erupt into a horrid angry creature. This cycles a few times, occasionally with a little sadness mixed in. As time goes on, you get a grip on your emotions, putting yourself in an odd neutral state, and it is at this time that you forget that you can no longer use the gift of life, Internet. You see something on tv and wander over to the computer to do a little more research on Wikipedia, Oh!....Oh dear.....Thats right......ummm......sorry....Uh, yeah.....No Internet....Repeat emotional cycles.
It astounds me that this happens. That people can be so dependant on a technology, that they feel they need it! I think its the immediateness of its information, you want to know something, you look it up on the spot, you send an email, its there in a matter of seconds. Where you used to wait, go to the library, look it up in books; send a letter, wait a few days. This is actually a conversation a friend and I were having a few weeks ago, how because letters are such an anomaly these days, when you actually get one, it is sooo cool! It means that someone has spent the time writing to you, not using a word document, and wanting the letter to be something special to you. I find that letters are certainly a dying trend, and that is incredibly sad, because they usually are soo special. I still have a book full of letters I received when I was little from my Grandparents and friends. I remember the excitement of running to the letter box and realising there was something for you! People dont keep emails, and even if they do, it certainly isnt as special as holding it in the flesh.
In some cases, well most really, technology is a good thing, but it is the little things that I find it is abolishing. I think we need to remember them, even if it means sending a letter once a month, we cant let these past traditions fade. We cant let modern technology rule entirely.




2 comments:

  1. couldnt agree more life use to be a lot easier before things like mobiles and facebook, although they are great tools to use, if you wanted to meet up with people you agreed on a time and place and got there ontime, none of this texting cause your going to be 30 mins late.

    Also glad to hear it was just the internet that was down the last time you had a massive break a few weeks ago you were sick so glad that didnt come back for you

    ReplyDelete
  2. How far are you from a maccas or a coffee shop/shopping centre that provides free wi-fi? Whilst this may be inconvenient, during 'emergencies', it allows you to stay in touch/research via laptop, rather than rely on a small-screened iphone. Just suggesting, not criticising.

    ReplyDelete