Monday 13 May 2013

Thoroughly Modern Millie

What we think is chic, unique and quite adorable
They think is odd and "Sodom and Gomorrah"-ble!
But the fact is
Everything today is thoroughly modern.
 
For those who dont remember, I'm a little bit of a costume nerd. Before my compulsion to be on the stage developed, I always wanted to design costumes. I remember the first time I went to NIDA (National Institute of Dramatic Arts) wasn't for performance, but for design. I took a little trip to their Open Day, which is a day when the College is opened up to the public, it was an amazingly magical place to a young 13 year old. Seeing all the costume and set creations before my eyes, and wishing to be on their alumni wall in the foyer.
 
Two faces that appeared on the wall that have become worldwide sensations are the husband and wife team of Catherine Martin and Baz Luhrmann. Id say pretty much my favourite movie making team. Under the direction of Baz, and Design of Catherine, they have created masterpieces (Moulin Rouge! and Romeo + Juliet to name a few). Their most recent epic has just been released in America, and I am absolutely itching in my boots to see it here in Aus! The Great Gatsby is a mixture of a timeless classic, performed by a phenomenal cast, adorned in beautiful period Prada and Tiffany. It makes this young gay boy very happy! AND, to top it all off, the soundtrack is perfect. Absolutely precisely what I expected and wanted it to be.
 
I always make myself laugh when I internally review movies. Basically, any movie with an emotionally smashing soundtrack and beautiful costumes is a winner for me. An example would be the recent Snow White adaptation released, 'Snow White and the Huntsman', pretty good cast and plot, but a riduculously good array of costumes and music sold it for me.
 
Well, I am off to sit at my piano for a few hours. I feel a little note bashing is in order as I have rehearsals tonight so I need to go over some of my music.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment