Tuesday 20 December 2011

Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo


Salagadoola mechicka boola bibbidi-bobbidi-boo
Put 'em together and what have you got
bibbidi-bobbidi-boo.

I am an avid lover of costumes. Which, I guess, is a good thing considering the field I want to enter into. However, its not just the wearing of costumes, its also the design of them that excites me. Funnily enough, originally, my dream was not to be performing on stage, but to be dressing it!
Before I started singing, I always wanted to be a costume designer. I used to go into my room and spend countless hours drawing and painting costumes. I would set myself a movie or story, and go from there. Drawing numerous costumes for each character, and then weilding my paintbrush in such a way to create either the flow of satin, warmth of fur, sharpness of metal, etc. It was a hobby, I even had a trusty shoebox full of buttons and ribbons, and various types and colours of fabrics. I remember going to the movies, and judging the film on its costumes rather than storyline haha. I guess the passion for costumes has never left me. I mean, I no longer draw them, but I still love viewing and wearing them. its always the best feeling to be dressed in an amazing costume. For a production I did a few years ago, I was a Prince, and the company had bought some costumes from the Sydney Opera Company. Lets just say that, I was excited. I was adorned in a stunningly intricate jacket, covered in beading and lacework. It was amazing, and very heavy haha.
So I thought I would post a few of my favourite costumes. Believe me, it was very hard to choose only a few of my favourites, but here they are. These are from Titanic, Atonement, Moulin Rouge!, Ever After, Chicago, and King Kong. Again, only a few, and very modern movies as well, rather than some of the classics. Some of the images arent that great, but you get the idea :)









No comments:

Post a Comment